Over time Wrinkles tend to develop on the skin naturally. No matter what precautions you might take, eventually, we all get some form of wrinkles. Wrinkles are lines, and folds in the skin, that appear with age and other factors.
Causes of Wrinkles
As the skin ages, and it is exposed to environmental factors, the underlying structure, and vital inner compounds, collagen and elastin, begin to breakdown. Once these compounds are depleted, the skin can no longer combat the environmental pressures and it will break down even further.
The main causes of wrinkles are:
- Sun Exposure – UV rays penetrate the skin and breakdown collagen.
- Wind Exposure
- Overly Dry Climate
- Poor Lifestyle Habits – Lack of Hydration, Excess Caffeine, Smoking, Poor Diet, Etc.
- Poor Skincare Habits
- Facial Expressions – Over time
Collagen depletion is a major factor when it comes to wrinkles, fine lines, and facial folds. As we age collagen stores become depleted, and collagen is vital to the health of our skin. Collagen provides your skin its moist, smooth, supple texture, and ensures the skin has its proper voluminous look and feel. When UV rays breakdown collagen, individual experience something called Facial Volume Loss. Essentially, the compounds that once “filled” your face, have now depleted. Therefore, many wrinkle treatments will also help stimulate the body’s natural production of collagen.
There are a number of ways to treat wrinkles, however it is dependent upon a few factors when considering a treatment option. The severity of the wrinkles, the location of the wrinkles, their depth, as well the patient’s personal health and skincare history. Depending upon these specific factors, we will recommend a certain course of treatment.
Common Treatment Methods Include:
- Chemical Peels
- Microdermabrasion – An exfoliation treatment, that resurfaces and retexturizes the skin.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing and IPL (Intense Pulse Laser) – Using laser heat energy, we exfoliate the outer layer of dead damaged skin cells and stimulating the growth of new ones. This process is also known to stimulate the production of collagen within the body. Leaving the skin smoother, more supple, soft, young, and wrinkle free!
- Dermal Fillers – Common types of injectable treatments are Juvéderm, Restylane, or Radiesse. They use different types of fillers, like collagen, Hyaluronic acid, or Calcium Hydroxylapatite, and work best at different areas of the face, but they also reduce the appearance of wrinkles while also being able to stimulate the production of collagen.
- Botox & Neuromodulators – Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport; are similar to injectables in their process, however they work by not only filling the space left beneath the wrinkles, but they are a muscle relaxant. They kill the nerve function within the area of the face, in order to reduce and remove the appearance of expression lines.
For more information on how to treat wrinkles fine lines, and facial folds, or to schedule your next appointment, contact us today.